Valley United Baptist Association
The Council of
the Eastern Valley Baptist Association met at the New Minas Baptist
Church Youth Center on Saturday, September 17, 2005.
Beers (Moderator), Wayne Merrill (Clerk), Ellen Hunt (Leadership), Jennifer Levy
(Kingswood Camp), Hedley Hopkins (Social Action), Glenn Wooden (Kingswood Camp),
Ron Baxter (Regional Minister), Jeff Hosick (Past Moderator)
Potvin (Stewardship), Jeff White (Chaplaincy), Graham Thomas (Vice Moderator),
Todd Coldwell (Youth Association)
Beers called the meeting to order at 9:05 and led a devotional reading from 2
Corinthians 3:1-6. Ron Baxter led in prayer.
of the February 26, 2005 meeting were reviewed and minor changes made.
Hosick) that the minutes be accepted as changed.
There was no one from the Stewardship Committee to report what
progress was being made on the idea presented at Spring Association which would
see us becoming our own policy holder. John Beers will check with the
Stewardship Committee to see where they are at with this.
At our last meeting the clerk was to take a request for approval of up to $1000
for the Youth Association to the Stewardship Committee. Wayne reported that
when he checked with the treasurer of the Youth Association he was told there
was not a great need for funds at this time as the offerings from “Rally In The
Valley” were providing funds. The request was not taken to the Stewardship
questions were raised. 1) could we have the treasurer email the financial
statement to members of the council? 2) Is the Association mailing address
still valid and who picks up the mail? John Beers will check with Emily on
these items. It was also suggested he ask what the proper procedure is to be
reimbursed for expenses.
was noted that we need to know the process for making budgeting requests. When
will the Stewardship Committee meet ? When do they want budget requests ? Can
Marc let us know this information?
Leadership & Development:
Ellen Hunt reported that the committee had met and discussed ways
to streamline the meetings with candidates for Association licenses. She
presented a new application form which they had developed. Having candidates
fill this out would give the committee some information in advance and help
them in the interview process. She would like to send copies of the form to all
our churches as well as to Acadia Divinity College.
Hunt/J. Hosick) that the report be accepted. Motion
was suggested that it would be good to add to the application where to look for
details about Association licenses, i.e. the Convention Year Book and the
Convention website. It was also suggested that the wording of the questions
should make it clear that applicants are being asked for their views and
experience and not general views. It was also noted that it should be made
clear on the form that it must be mailed to the address given.
Hosick) that the new application form be approved, with suggested changes, to
be sent to our churches. Motion Carried.
Ron Baxter circulated a written report and commented on it. In
addition to his written report he noted the following: 1) There will be a
deacons workshop at Harmony Baptist Church on March 11, 2006 from 9 am - 3pm.
2) At the Baptist Ministerial meeting on Wednesday, September 21 there will be a
report from Kingswood Camp. 3) New material is available from CBM called “Song
in the Borderland. 4) The 2007 UiM budget goal has to be set in 2006. Do we
have any ideas as to how we might secure a pledge from our churches for their
support in 2007?
Several suggestions were discussed. Could we make the suggestion that each
church tithe 10% of its income and emphasize this at November’s Association
meeting? It was noted that it is important to have a visit from a person to
present the need. We also need to help pastors and churches understand that the
call to ministry is not just local, but global, and UiM helps us to do this.
The question was asked, “Is the lack of support a money issue or does it reflect
an attitude toward Convention?”
arose over the recent decisions made at Convention regarding regulations
concerning same sex marriage. Is this a trend toward Convention telling
churches what they can and cannot do? As an Association Council what is our
response to this action? What will be our response if a congregation decides
to support same sex marriage? What is our response to the recent decision?
In light of the
discussion John Beers asked, “What reasonable step can we take today?” It was
suggested that we provide an opportunity for open discussion on this matter. We
should have a special Council meeting to answer the question, “How does EVBA
respond to Conventions decision?” It was also suggested that we have a
facilitator to help us with this.
Hopkins/J. Hosick) that we have a special Council meeting to respond to the
recent determination of Convention as indicated in the information provided by
our Regional Minister (re: the adoption of a resolution concerning the
solemnization of same sex marriages and the CABC notice of motion to amend the
Regulations Concerning the Ministry with regard to pastoral leaders officiating
or co-officiating at same sex marriages.) and that we invite a facilitator to
this meeting. Motion Carried.
Hosick) that we accept the Regional Minister’s report.
Hedley distributed a written report and commented on it. It was noted that
several churches have responded to the request to allow Emergency Measures
Organizations to use church facilities in the event of an emergency situation.
A form used by EMO to gather information was distributed. It was thought it
would be good to send a copy of this to all our churches. There will be a
workshop on abuse on November 12 at Hantsport Baptist Church.
Baxter) that we accept the Social Action report.
Hunt) that the form from EMO be sent to all our Association churches.
Atlantic Baptist Women:
Glenn Wooden reported that a new road has been constructed down
to the lake thanks to the funds received from Association. Jennifer Levy
distributed a written report covering this year’s camping season and commented
on it. It was noted that the need for abuse Insurance coverage is definitely
Hunt) that we accept the Kingswood Camp report.
Association: Jennifer Levy reported for Todd Coldwell. Rally in the Valley
will continue from September to May except for the month of December. They are
planning to raise money to support a youth pastor in Poland.
John noted that we need some communication with the Youth Executive as to their
relationship with Association. Much discussion followed. It seems that after
getting off to a good start the Youth Association is floundering. What should
we do? It was suggested that we set up a meeting with all youth leaders in our
Association and that John and Jeff meet with the leaders of Rally In The Valley
to see where they are at. John will contact Jeff and set up a meeting with the
Rally in the Valley leaders. The Leadership Development Committee will
facilitate a meeting of youth leaders.
John Beers gave a very brief report as time was getting short. He has been
meeting with pastors and attending regular functions as needed. He also was
asked to give an update on his health as he had undergone emergency surgery
recently. He noted that the surgery was to remove a kidney stone and they were
only able to take half of it. He will have a second surgery on September 22.
He asked for our prayers.
John read the written report provided by Graham Thomas which
outlined the program for the meeting in November. All agreed to accept the
Nothing further to report.
It was noted that this will need to be renewed in November.
The date of December 3, 2005 was set for the special Council
meeting. We will meet at 9:00 am at New Minas Baptist Church.
It was noted
that Pamela Estey’s ordination service would be held on October 30 at Canning
to adjourn was
given by G. Wooden. Glen closed in prayer.
Association will be held at Windsor Baptist Church on November 5, 2005
regular Council meeting will be held February 4, 2006 at New Minas Baptist